The Summit cast iron G9080 manifolds arrived. I originally ordered Patriot cast iron manifolds which were very affordable since they were factory ceramic coated, but they were on back-order with indefinite time frame on arrival. I painted these raw manifolds with VHT Flameproof primer and paint, then tried to cure them in a self-made grille/oven with heat gun. That was a waste of time since I could not regulate the heat. Later after install and start, I’ll attempt to cure them on the running engine.
Mock up of the upper radiator hose was next. I used a combination of Dayco 70155 curved radiator hose at the radiator and the 2004 OEM truck hose Gates 22436 to the water pump. Cutting appropriately and splicing with a Gates 26391 1-3/4″ x 1-1/2″ reducer and an ICT Billet 1-1/2″ x1-1/4″ reducer. This made for an awkward but very functional hose.
The bottom radiator hose was a simple Dayco 81301 10″ flex hose with a Gates 26391 reducer to the swivel thermostat water neck. The Spectre 4939 swivel water neck uses a standard OEM thermostat and seals with an OEM type o-ring.
Correction: Is supposed to seal with OEM type o-ring. It would not seal, so I made a housing gasket with Fel-Pro 3157 gasket making material. This solved the fluid leaking problem.
Connecting all of the modified factory wiring harness was a simple job since there was room to fit into the engine bay to get up close and personal with everything.
After this, I still needed to install the electric fan wiring at at the fuse/relay block and run the wire inconspicuously over to the fan and the install the fan after I got myself out of the way. It’s very difficult to get a photo of the installed fan, but it’s in there.
Even with all of the room in this engine bay, getting the Ebay special Silverado “Cold-air” filter and intake installed was a tight fit.
Next we shall go into the “first start” adventures…