I’ve got several little things going on at once with this project, but here’s another one that I have completed.
The original fuse block, like many this age, was in rough shape. Neglect was not at fault, but like many of us this vintage, we have not aged well.
The original block was rusted and corroded to a point that it was just not worth the trouble to clean and recondition since new modern fuse blocks can be found for very little cost. Especially for a vehicle that originally only had 4 circuits fused.
I purchased an eBay fuse block not knowing if the quality would be worth dealing with, but I found this block to be of exceptional quality compared to the price of the unit.
It was well constructed and had approximately 10 feet of appropriate sized good GXL wire on all circuits. The fuses themselves were junk, but that was of no concern.
I modified the block to suite my needs. It came wired with (if I remember correctly) 5 “Battery” circuits and 7 “Ignition” circuits. I changed some things around a bit to match my needs and even added a flasher circuit.
There is one unfused battery and one fused ignition wire that powers a separate fuse block each for future add-ons.
Before labeling and disconnecting each wire from the original fuse block, I verified the existing wiring multiple times using multi-meter, wire tracing and wiring diagrams.
Instead of wiring the new fuse block directly into the original wiring, I went to eBay again and purchased a 10-pin connector so that I could simply plug the new block into place. This will help in case I need to remove the new block in the future for any reason. I don’t plan on needing to, but if I had not prepared for that situation, then I would most likely need to for some reason. I have not completed testing of the circuits as other things are still disconnected from the dash like all switches and the steering column. I’m pretty confident all will work fine. ***18 months later and all is great.***
Flasher circuit (hazards) is a standard two terminal flasher relay which is mounted on the new fuse block and is separate from turn signal flasher relay. The ’67 steering column I used has the column mount hazard switch. This simply runs to the load terminal (L). The other terminal (X) gets battery 12v+ power.